Florida Skunk Roach

Eurycotis floridana “Big Torch Key”



Mixed nymphs: $6/each
Starter colony (12 mixed nymphs): $60


Detailed Species Stats -Click-

  • Adult Size: Male: 45 mm. Female: 45 mm.
  • Climbing Abilities: All life stages can climb.
  • Flying Abilities: Cannot fly.
  • Mode of Birth: Oviparous.
  • Care Level: Easy.
  • Temperature Requirements: 68-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Air Humidity: Dry.
  • Substrate Humidity: Moist.
  • Favorite Foods: Not picky.
  • Locality: Big Torch Key, Florida.

In the original Allpet Roaches book by Orin McMonigle and R. Willis, there lies a mythical image; plate 1, image 4. This image of a once-lost strain of Eurycotis floridana from the Florida keys shows three adults, not solid burgundy as typically portrayed, but with thorax edge markings reminiscent of Eurycotis opaca. When I was younger I was captivated by these colorful individuals and attempted to look for some on my Florida trips to no avail (though we did find Eurycotis lixa, which was certainly an acceptable alternative).
Long after I had given up on acquiring Keys floridana, isopod and miscellaneous invertebrate enthusiast Eric Maxwell offered me a trio of adult Eurycotis he had found while accessing the most remote of the Torch Keys, Big Torch Key. Lo and behold, the glorious marked Eurycotis floridana of yore were finally in my hands!
This is a stunning and easy to care for Eurycotis, with nymphs sporting far more striking patterning than the adults. About 70% of the culture has strong adult markings, while the remaining 30% are more variable. I have decided not to cull these individuals so as to remain the genetic integrity and authenticity relative to the wild population, as one of the original trio was faintly marked.